Monday 25 January 2016

2016 Sewing Projects |Sewing|

I had six projects planned for 2016, but wasn't totally sure on one of them. Then circumstances conspired this January and I have an event at the end of February that I need a couple of things for. So item six was bumped, projects were rearranged and here we are! 

I wanted to set out these items to sew because they've all been on my list of "things I want" for ages. I still want them, so I might as well have a productive year! It doesn't mean I won't sew other things alongside hopefully, just that I want to get these done. Two months for each project, plenty of time to research, buy patterns and materials and sew the items. Which as you'll see are not always in one piece.... 

January February
Petticoat for Laura Ashley dress. 
Airplane prints circle skirt using vintage prints from VintagePleasure on Instagram. 


I want to wear the airplane prints skirt during the day at a conference and the dress in the evening for the dinner dance. My Vivien of Holloway petticoat is just too short for the skirt on the Laura Ashley dress and without spending a crazy amount on a bridal petticoat I'm at a loss. So dress net and ruffles on a handmade petticoat it is!!
The prints I saw on Instagram from ???? and just fell in love with. I'm hoping with some bondaweb they'll make an awesome statement skirt. 

March April
Ultra high waisted pencil skirt with detachable braces. 

From Collectif. 

I've seen similar to what I want all over the place in vintage repro stores, but nothing perfect. I hope I'll be able to recreate the picture in my head in fabric. I'm thinking interesting kick pleat, detailed top band, gorgeous fabric. It might be a bit ambitious!! 

May June
Grey silk cape and circle skirt. 

An old photo. The hat looks almost white here! 

I need to find the perfect fabric for this. I have a gorgeous grey silk pillbox hat with feathers and a veil, but it doesn't really go with anything I own... I want to remedy that and I reckon this could be a very chic outfit. Or total disaster. I've never sewn with silk. 

July August
Blue and white striped robe. 
Underwear and frillies! 


Taking inspiration right off the pattern envelope! It will also be kind of a muslin as I seriously need to do my Godmother's robe as I've had her fabric for literal years and not made it for her. A mixture of fear and laziness I think has held me back!! Terrible goddaughter!! 
Plus if there's time I'd like to play around with underwear and slips etc. Just for fun. It's my birthday month after all. 

September October
Grey woollen suit jacket, pencil skirt and pleated full circle skirt. 

Sorry about the terrible quality, it's the only one I can find!! 

When I saw this photo I completely fell in love with the look, but knew I'd probably never be able to afford a true vintage version as beautiful or even a repro version. Do they exist this gorgeous?
So I know I can sew circle skirts, and pencil skirts. It's just the jacket. So some clothing construction learning might be required. Which will be interesting at least. These two months are Definintely Ambitious. 

November December 
Quilted circle skirt. 



I can't remember where I first saw a quilted circle skirt. It was somewhere in blog land and true vintage. Gorgeous and as usual, way beyond my budget. 
Then Gertie and her fabulous blog popped up again recently with a tutorial for one. Dreams do come true. I'm terrible at actually following directions, so I might not totally stick to her instructions....it's the same basic idea though! Pretty fabrics and toasty legs! 

I hope I do get through them all this year. Fingers crossed. I get way laid easily!! 

What are your projects for this year? 

Jo :) 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh Exciting I love all of your sewing plans, and its great to be ambitious, thats when we usually surprise ourselves! I am especially looking forward to what you do with the airplane print patches, I think they will look just fabulous on a circle skirt as there is plenty of room to show them off whilst swishing about! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was working on that skirt yesterday. Got all my aeroplanes sewn on and just the waistband left to do! I'm so pleased with it. It's kind of adorable! :) xx

      Delete