Saturday 12 December 2015

Stew & Dumplings |Vegan Recipe|


I seem to be on a bit of a dumpling kick at the moment! It's turned colder, greyer and darker all of a sudden and I feel like winter has really kicked in. Which obviously calls for hearty, warming dishes in the kitchen. If I can cook it all in one pot and serve it with thick chunky bread, all the better. I love my slow cooker and it gets the most use at this time of the year. If you don't have one, you can do this without, it just means you'll be standing around at the hob a lot more, keeping an eye on things.
Easy to copy/print recipe at the end as usual! Excuse the photos, I ended up cooking round my friends and had left my camera at home again!
First off, put your lentils, yellow split peas and pearl barley into your slow cooker with it set on high. Add three litres of vegetable stock. Home made is best, but Oxo is so much quicker!
 
Leave this for two hours to cook up. You can prep your other veg while you're waiting.
 
 
I like to pre-cook my potatoes so halve and par boil them first. Chop up your carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and turnip into equal sized pieces depending on how chunky you want your stew to be. The packs of stew veg are perfect for this.
When the pearl barley is cooked through, add the veg and potatoes to the pot along with the gravy granules. Let this all cook down for an hour.
Mix up your flour and butter to form breadcrumbs, and add enough water until it's a slightly sticky dough. If you don't mind soft dumplings, you can stir up your slow cooker and add them on top or in the mix here, shaping the dough into little balls in your hands first, and leaving to cook for another hour.
I prefer crispy topped dumplings so I decant my stew into a dish, put the dumplings on top and bake in a 200 degree oven for thirty to forty minutes until they're nice and golden and the stew is bubbling. Serve with green veg, crusty bread, and if you're feeling really fancy, vegan Yorkshire puddings!
What's your winter go to?
Jo:)
Ingredients:
150g lentils
200g yellow split peas
200g pearl barley
3 litres veggie stock
5 large carrots
4 large parsnips
250g baby potatoes
1 large sweet potato
1 medium turnip
4tbsp gravy granules
150g SR Flour
2tbsp vegan butter (I've used Vitalite and Pure)
Method:
Lentils, yellow split peas and pearl barley into slow cooker on high with 3l of stock
Halve baby potatoes and par boil
Chop veg equally and add to pot after two hours along with potatoes and gravy granules
Mix flour and butter to make breadcrumbs, add water until you get a sticky dough
After 1 hour more either decant to dish to add dumplings or cook for another hour in stock pot with dumplings
If baking, put dish in 200 degree oven for 30/40 mins until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment