Saturday 5 December 2015

Simple Gathered Skirt |Sewing Tutorial|

I wrote a simple tutorial for this on my old blog, but this will be better, plus it has photos! 

I made this skirt for a friends birthday (lacking her measurements) hence the shorter length. If I was making myself this double layer style, I'd be at knee length at least.

 
Anyway, take your measurements as shown in my wonderful (!) hand drawn diagram so you can work out how much fabric you need to buy.

 
Make sure you pre wash your fabric! Ironing it after gives you extra brownie points but I really hate ironing.....

 
Cut your two rectangles out. Hem along one long side of each one. This will be the lower hem. Fold over half a cm and then again so the raw edge is nearly enclosed.
 

If you have lace or anything to add to the hems, do so now. I stitched my lace on just straight along (didn't even pin, I'm so slap dash!) the bottom hem of each rectangle so that it hung underneath the fabric. 

 
I like to French seam, so fold your rectangle in half, wrong sides together with the two short sides meeting. Sew straight down that edge as close to the edge as possible. Turn the tube inside out so your right sides are together and press the seam flat. Then sew the hem up 5mm from the edge to enclose the raw edge. My favourite seam for skirts! Repeat on the second rectangle. 

 
 
Cut your waistband. Fold it in half, and then turn the long raw edges in by 1cm so they will end up in the waistband. Iron it and iron it again. Make sure it lines up well and your life will be easier than mine!
 
The two tubes should now fit nicely one inside the other. Make sure you put the shorter one on top!! Line the raw top edges up neatly and pin your waistband over both pieces. Fold the end you are starting to stitch at under itself so the frayed ends aren't showing. Do not stitch it closed.
 

Sew around your waistband until you're a few centimetres from the end and back stitch to stop the thread unravelling. 

 
Use a large safety pin in the end of your elastic to feed it through the waistband until you have both ends showing. I favour a criss cross square stitch to make sure it doesn't spring apart! Manoeuvre it into the waistband so you can tuck the leftover raw ends over. Finish stitching the waistband on and run up over the elastic to join the waistband into a circle.

 
Hey presto. One pretty, comfy, layered skirt. 

 
Notes:
Always backstitch at the beginning and end of any sewing, bonus points for tying off too. 
If you've got wavy lace, follow the top edge so it doesn't flop over a straight line of stitching. 
Match your top thread to your lace, but if it's fairly thick, leave your bobbin thread as the main fabric colour and the inside will look neater. 
Make sure your elastic doesn't twist. 
Ironing is more awesome than I think it is. 
So is pinning. 
Don't be lazy :) 

I like it because there's no zips or buttons. Win. 

Think you'll give this style of simple skirt a try? 

Jo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment