Saturday 1 August 2015

Perfect Pancakes |Vegan Recipe|


I was rather worried when I decided to turn vegan that I would end up missing out on a lot of things, and I'm thankful to say that it's not been the case at all! Except for one occasion. Shrove Tuesday. Now I have always loved pancakes and I suspect always will. From learning to flip a specially made cold pancake with my bestie in primary school (and calling her mum the best tosser ever apparently!!) to delicious Morello Cherry and ice cream pancakes on a Friday lunch time when I worked out in Germany.

So when pancake day came around earlier this year, being the disorganised soul I am, I panicked, and suddenly found myself scouring the net for pancake recipes! Three attempts (and a ridiculously messy kitchen) later, and I came up with these! A bit of a mash up of a couple of recipes, and handily using things I already had in my kitchen!

As always, there's an easy to copy and paste recipe at the end if you want to print it out!

Ingredients

Go grab your ingredients!

Dry Ingredients
I get my Gram Flour (or chickpea flour if you prefer) from Tesco in the world cooking section...along with various large bags of spices, but that's last weeks recipe!

Sieve all your dry ingredients into a bowl, mix 'em up a bit. I feel other non wheat flours such as soya or perhaps even corn would work instead of the gram flour, it's just to help with the binding in the way the egg does in non-vegan pancakes.

Stir in your soya milk. I'm using sweetened as it's what I like to have on my cereal, unsweetened would be fine I'm sure as there's sugar in the batter anyway. Then beat in your water bit by bit until you get a fairly runny consistency, you can always add a little more than the recipe says if you like.

Batter
Get your frying pan nice and hot, carefully swirl some oil into it and wipe around with a bit of kitchen towel or a clean cloth. Tip your batter in a tip it out to the edges as you would with non-vegan batter.

Bubbling away...
When the bubbles start to appear and the mix seems set, flip your pancake over (extra points for not using utensils).

Turn the hob down to medium and let your pancake cook for another minute or until you're happy with the colour.
Too much sugar?
Turn out onto a plate and eat with whatever topping you fancy.

Muscavado Sugar and Lemon
My personal favourite is (too much) muscavado sugar and lemon juice. Mmmm.
Perfect Pancakes
Perfect Pancake Memories. If I didn't know these were a different recipe, I'd never guess from the taste!

Enjoy! Jo :)
 
Easy Copy Recipe
 
Ingredients:
225g Plain Flour
30g Gram (Chickpea) Flour
30g Caster Sugar
120ml Soya Milk
300ml Water
Method:
Sieve and mix dry ingredients
Add soya milk
Add water a bit at a time until you get a runny consistency
Heat a frying pan up as hot as possible, wipe around with oil
Swirl in your batter
Turn heat down to medium
When bubbles are visible and the batter is firm, flip over and cook for another minute
Serve with lemon and sugar or other toppings!

2 comments: