Sunday 27 September 2015

2400 Miles in a Mondeo |To Slovenia and Back Again|


Well, I'm home and slowly getting sorted back to normal. Washing spinning and drying on the line, clothes put away, snakes fed and happy! I thought I'd just share a few of my holiday snaps (all Slovenia, bar one from Oktoberfest!) and a few tips on eating Vegan abroad. You can see my other snaps on my Instagram!
 
 
We stayed near Lake Bled when we were in Slovenia for two nights and it is the most beautiful place. Very alpine and chocolate box looking. The Lake has a church on an island in the middle of it with a wishing bell (no you can't know what I wished for, I'm working on the same principle of birthday wishes here!!) and a Castle on a cliff overlooking it, with stunning views of the valley.
 
 
We climbed up to the castle (knackering, but worth it, although there is a car park too!) and rowed out to the island in a swan rowing boat and generally had a wonderful day of touristing! The lake is so incredibly clear, I wish I'd taken my bikini and swum now!


If you're travelling to one country, it's a bit easier, but make sure you know the basic food stuffs you can't eat in the local language. Dairy, Eggs, Milk etc as well as Vegan and Vegetarian. Most people seemed happy to help, but it was still a real struggle a couple of times in more traditional places.


If you can take some of your own food with you, or periodically stock up a little on fresh produce, salad and fruit etc for lunches and snacks. I took soy milk and cereal for breakfasts but did just fine with bread and jam most days.



Research before you go and find a couple of places along your way that you can be sure to find something to eat. We tried a Vegan Restaurant in Cologne called Past and Future and the food was delicious, everyone was incredibly friendly and I'd love to go back!



If in doubt, order salads with no dressing and chips! I feel like these balance each other out nicely!!



We had an amazing time and I'd love to go back and visit Slovenia again, and can't wait to go back to Germany. Already planning the next trip!
 
Jo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment